Wednesday, October 12, 2016

European Adventure Day Six - Eze

While doing research on things to see in Nice, I came across Eze. Eze is a beautiful little medieval village about a 30 minute bus ride from Nice. After a relaxing for a bit in a courtyard cafe, we made our way to a bus stop and caught a ride. The roads were winding and narrow as we climbed up to Eze which is on a mountain (or at the very least, a wicked high hill). A little unnerving, but more interesting than oh my god I'm gonna die. 

We hiked from the bus stop, right by a perfumery, up to the village itself. It was as if the buildings were carved out of the hillside. That's not actually how it's done, I'm sure, and while there were a lot of tourists, I appreciated that the shops we saw were boutique-like in their style, rather than seeing the same tacky souvenirs over and over.

At the top of Eze is a an "exotic garden" made up of mostly cacti and with incredible views. Interspersed are serene sculptures, mostly of women, a few accompanied by poems. It was lovely. I didn't buy anything but a colorful elephant caught my eye until I realized it was made in Barcelona. I'll wait until I'm actually there to buy it!

I had my first sugar drop of the trip (not bad considering we average 6 to 9 miles of walking a day), so we parked at a lovely restaurant near the top of the village. I tried my first escargot and was pleasantly surprised at how delicious they were. I mean, they were all pesto and butter but still. Yummy!

I've really enjoyed trying to use what little French I know to be friendly, but I've also loved the food and eaten like an American on vacation.

We all crashed back at our AirBnB after our Eze venture, and after our power naps we made our way to dinner in the Old Town (in Nice) at a place called Olives and Artichokes. Libby and Sam had squid and mussels in black pasta, froit gras (no thank you!), and I had scallops with butternut squash. Dessert was a lava cake. My favorite! And the less predictable women shared a flaming sorbet.

beautiful Eze







Sam takes on the escargot

My turn - I'm focused, I guess

scene from dinner
Samantha and Libby's flaming dessert!


No comments: