Monday, August 23, 2010

My Path in the Woods

I went for a walk
after the snow
and I knew others had been there before
for the path I was on
was well beaten down
and it held my attention
no more

For the path well-trod
leads to despair
and is surfaced with dusty schemes
The path I prefer
I'll carve it myself
and pave it with elegant dreams

Yes
I once walked there
on the path well-trod
but my footprints I never could find
for they were all mixed and mingled therein
with the others
I walked behind

So I left the path
and I walked in the woods
and when I turned I could see
the most beautiful trail there in the snow
created only by me

My trail wasn't straight
nor was it wide
it wandered where ever I pleased
but the beauty I saw
could never be seen
from that well-trod path through the trees

Alone in the woods
I shed a tear
and gave the Lord thanks that day
for just one thing He gave to me
-the courage
to break away

But the tear that I shed
wasn't really for me
‘twas for the many who fear to be free
from the well-trod path
that shackles their souls
and shrouds their destiny

For on the well-trod path
nothing can grow
save for a few dusty schemes
But on the trail you carve yourself
you'll find
the most elegant dreams
 
- Marty Rickard

No comments: