Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Knot

I recently decided to look into advertising on TheKnot.com. It's a wedding site which has become the go-to guide for most brides, it seems. A few days ago, in an effort to be a thorough investigator before investing $156.75 a month to be posted on the site, I contacted about six photographers from other areas of the country to get their thoughts. Most of them responded and told me that nearly all of their clients come from their TheKnot.com listings. So, I plan to go for it, with hopes of getting some work. If only I could get a hold of the Boston rep.

The other thing I've been doing is trying to get a promotional sheet together to bring to local businesses in hopes of getting them to hire me, shooter extraordinaire, to take pictures in their shops and whatnot.

I thought it might be cool to work for WBUR in some capacity (the local NPR affiliate), but then, I'm guessing lots of people think that would be cool. Just the same, I will be sending along my resume to them sometime soon, too. I say sometime because I am just waiting on a few graphics things to add to these sheets before sending them out.

I went to my orthopedist the other day, three months after breaking my collar bone. Another X-ray was taken and if you ask me, there is zero change in my shoulder from the last time I had it x-rayed a month ago. Thank you, Diabetes. The doctor seemed to be a bit unimpressed too. I found this very discouraging. I really was hoping that he would let me start PT by now, but alas, he has sent me home with some kind of flier with exercises on it. The thing is, if I am scheduled to go to PT, that will be what I do at that time. I won't be distracted by the computer or business ideas or the phone, my dog or the fridge, with whom I have become good friends. I will be dealing with my shoulder. It's much harder to get exercises done at home with some sheet with stick-figures on it. Still, I will give it a shot and make it more of a focus, somehow.

I attempted this morning to dig into a book I got from the library about Photoshop. Photographing architectural spaces for my parents has proven to be pretty tricky. The spaces I'm in are not lit with natural light, and getting the light balanced across the image is a hair-ripping-out-inducing challenge. I attempted the "sandwiching" technique that TJ told me about, but it hasn't been successful. I suspect I'm doing it wrong. The "Photoshop CS for Dummies" isn't really helping. It's a big book and I've discovered that I don't really care much for big books.

I was just thinking yesterday how I miss my school. Ohio University. This longing is always followed quickly with a chuckle of acknowledgement - that I studied my ass off and that part really wasn't so fun.

That hasn't changed. Big books with lots of info still overwhelm me. This book is no different. I opened to to the section most resembling sandwiching and immediately despised it.

I also have what my dad refers to as a "low boiling point". This could not be more true than it is these days. I am sitting at Grump Station waiting for the Patience Express and there is no sign of it anywhere.
I think it may have broken-down in Careerville.

No comments: