Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Dear Friend: My 40th Birthday Project

Rather than sit in my mixed feelings about turning 40, I had a project to focus on.

I forget how doing something creative and then sharing it can be scary.  You put your effort into something, and while I created these "love letters" for my friends, I hoped others will get something out of it too.  I was reminded this morning how vulnerable my work can leave me feeling when Mike and I had a texting SNAFU. I choked back tears because I misunderstood a text he sent in response to me telling him I'd launched the project.

I guess I do really care what people think. I want the people I care about to be proud of me.

One thing I didn't expect was to learn some new things about my friends. The running themes included; worry less, listen to others more, don't be afraid to do great things. I was sad to hear regret in the voices of a lot of my friends as they reflect on themselves as younger people, but also, not one seemed discontent with who they are today. Most like themselves and are more confident in who they are. More comfortable in their adult skin than their younger skin (even if we complain about that skin).

I think one of my birthday resolutions will be to aspire to be more like Suzanne who always assumes that people have the best of intentions, and Lauren who said "don't be afraid to be awesome"





No comments: