Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Sticking Up

I've wondered if Harlow was the kind of dog who would stick up for me if it ever appeared I was in danger. I'm not sure she would step in if I was being attacked or something, but now I do know she'll come to my aid if a small white dog growls at me.

I spent a few days this past three day weekend in the cape. Family friends were with us as was their small white Eskimo dog, Eva. After a walk, Harlow showed no signs of tiring so I brought her to the yard to throw a tennis ball for her. I have one of those wands that holds the ball at one ends and sends it farther than I could with my arm alone.

Eva showed up and the two pups took turns retrieving the ball. One time, when Eva  brought the ball back to me, she wouldn't drop it. So, I did what I do with Harlow and took a hold of the ball and told her to "leave it". It didn't really work so I took the ball wand and sort of stroked her side to distract her. She didn't like that and she lunged at the wand with some serious growling.

Harlow went ape shit on her over this. Perhaps thinking Eva was going after me. Or maybe there was a imperceptible-to-the-human-eye squabble over the tennis ball when Eva turned to the wand. I don't know. But getting them apart was actually a challenge. Harlow kept going after her when I got them apart, and I'm sure it was escalated because Eva (rightfully so) is scrappy and was sticking up for herself.

No one was hurt but it was a side of Harlow I haven't seen yet.

And then there was this twenty minutes, which she spent trying to figure out what she was looking at in the water. Hermit Crabs? Minnows? I have no idea!

More water play from C.M. Scott on Vimeo.

No comments: