Sunday, September 11, 2011

That Which Manifests is Before You

This morning I finally finished a lovely book called The Art of Racing in the Rain. I have been working on it for a little while, despite it's being a simple read. It's a beautiful story; Enzo is an aging dog, and on the eve of his death, he tells the story of his life. He is a faithful companion to Denny, and stands by him through thick and thin. I am not doing the story justice, as Enzo's thoughts are philosophical and hopeful.

I bought the book for my Dad for Christmas and worried that maybe it would be a bit of a My Dog Marley knock off, but fortunately I was wrong. I mean, I love that story but this one was different. This one, The Art of Racing In The Rain, is quotable. It's one where you would want mugs with phrases from the book on it.

My uncle Billy, it turns out, has also read the book, and throughout the summer, he would reference it in little ways that made me smile; perhaps Oliver knows about this or that because he saw it on TV?!  (Enzo watched lots of TV and lectures the reader about the things he's learned).

It is funny and thoughtful, and sweet, and heartfelt.

I think I will go write a book report and make a diorama about it now.

No comments: