Friday, June 17, 2011

Little Things. And (literally) Big Ones.

It's funny how something small can make me very depressed. Someone passing on my right to make a left hand turn at the end of my street during rush hour because wherever he needs to be is clearly far more important than where I need to be. It bent my nose out-of-shape for a while, because I was simply offended at the rudeness of the act.
The same thing can happen to me going the other way too. Something small can uplift me. This photo was posted on Facebook and when I clicked on it, it lead to a collection of images, including the one below. The photo is amazing. Dynamic. Breathtaking even. But then when you read the cutline (which I copy and pasted below), it just gives me a little more faith in people and the universe too.



Source: None via Jena on Pinterest


The Whale… If you read a recent front page story of the San Francisco Chronicle, you would have read about a female humpback whale who had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps and lines. She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line tugging in her mouth. A fisherman spotted her just east of the Farallon Islands (outside the Golden Gate) and radioed an environmental group for help. Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and untangle her. They worked for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her. When she was free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles. She then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, and nudged them, pushed them gently around as she was thanking them. Some said it was the most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives. The guy who cut the rope out of her mouth said her eyes were following him the whole time, and he will never be the same.

No comments: