Saturday, August 18, 2007

Travel

Someone asked me recently, if I was to travel, how long would I go for
and in what style would I do it?

The question stumped me a bit. Do answer the question as though I am
not a diabetic reliable on all sorts of pharmaceuticals that don't
travel well? I thought about it - traveling not as a diabetic, but
then I realized that I couldn't do it. I couldn't even pretend, for
question answering sake that I was without my condition. I have been
diabetic for too long to think of life being any other way. And I
claim to have a good imagination!?

There are certain places in the world I am not too interested in
going.  I don't really want to go to any third-world countries. But,
is that because I'm a person who likes a bit of comfort at the end of
the day, not so into backpacking and pitching tents? Or is that the
fear of being somewhere with no good medical care readily available?
Ok, well, diabetic or not, I enjoy healthy food, a clean bed, and a
shower from time to time.

I think if I had a chunk of time to spare, and some money, I would
like to go to a place where I could kind-of live for a time. Although
still, going to a continent and wandering it a bit would be
interesting too. Depending on the wandering style. I'll admit I'm not
the type to enjoy squeezing into a rickety bus packed with people and
their chickens in cages for a ride to what may or may not be the
designation I am trying to get to.

This is the part where I realize I have some stereotypical Swiss in
me. I say this because I have found that I am not a huge fan of
wandering in an unfamiliar place. I like a plan. I did wander lots
while in Madrid a few years back and I did love that. But, I think to
plop down into a country I hadn't researched too much and just say,
ok, I'll walk in this direction and see where it takes me. I would
constantly be wondering if all the good stuff was in the other
direction. The other direction, which I am now walking away from. And,
as I wandered, I'd wonder, am I there yet? Oh, no, wait, I'm just
wandering, so I might be there yet, or maybe I'll be there shortly.
Where the hell is "there"?

And yet, I do believe in the theory that the adventure is into he
getting there. Oh, wait, I still don't know where "there" is.

No comments: