Sunday, February 8, 2015

Carport Part 2

We have a lot of snow here in Boston. A lot of snow. A record amount of it.
Even though I've run out of places for it, I keep shoveling. Clearing the front stairs, clearing the back stairs, clearing the sidewalk to the carport, clearing the sections between the carport and the street.

This morning Harlow and I ran errands before the next storm hits. Food, pet-friendly ice melt, etc.  Pulling back into my carport though, I slid sideways into the snow mound on the right. I got really stuck. So I delivered Harlow to the yard and got myself the shovel and got to work, moving out as much snow as a could, then jamming some cardboard under the wheels for traction. It worked like a charm!

And once I got the car settled, I looked up and saw this on top of the carport. Of course...

2/8/15 the endless snow essentially made a ramp for her to get the best view! from C.M. Scott on Vimeo.



I tried to clear some of the snow which was helping her get access to the top of the carport, but it was a beast of a job, and in truth, my priority was clearing my access to the street a little better for the sake of my car. We'd only get more snow to remake her access ramps anyway.

Gee, I wonder where she's getting up onto the carport?
I worked to remove some of the snow, but who am I kidding? She could easily jump that if she was bored enough.
So, I put the correction collar on her and basically tried to bait her. I let her back outside and acted busy on the porch (from where I can see the carport) and hoped she would try to jump up again. I would shock her to teach her to stop doing it. I don't love that (there's a vibrate mode on the collar which tends to be effective enough), but I'll take puppy's temporary discomfort over her being crushed by a plow because she got out of the yard again and when for a walkabout!

Alas, she knows exactly what that collar does, so she knew better than to take the bait. In fact, she'll approach the carport and then look into the window to see if I'm watching her, remote in hand. If I'm there, she scurries in another direction. So make no mistake about it; she knows what that collar does and she knows she's not allowed on the carport.


Yesterday though, before the back-breaking snow removal and car digging out, I got some nice snow play shots.

she's an excellent snowball collecter




tracking those nasty squirrels!





No comments: