Friday, September 20, 2013

Pinky Pick-Up

On September 17, 2013, I drove up to Manchester, NH to pick up Pinky. She was there for her 48 hour quarantine after arriving from Tennessee a few days prior. When I got there, there was a bit of paperwork confusion which was settled quickly when they realized that I would not be able to adopt her until she had a health certificate. She would not be getting a health certificate until the parasites she was sick with where cleared.

Lovely.

But, she was a sweet love who didn't mind the car ride at all. In fact, she brought me to tears when she reached forward from the back seat and rested her chin on the center console, much like Oliver had done when I first picked him up years ago.

Mom and dad visited that night to meet her, and she greeted them at the door with wiggles and squiggles and a happy tail and little puddles of pee in the excitement and trepidation.

The first night, I put her in her crate and she barked for hours. She's clearly not a fan of the crate, but I wanted to train her to love her little space, and to not be able to wander much until she was housebroken.

The next goal (well, aside from training her to go outside and getting her to be OK with the crate) was to rename her.  It took me over a week to commit to one. I thought of Oliver but felt it was too close to Oliver. Toby, Scout, Moxie, Maggie. But none of them were quite right.  During one of our bajilion visits outside to get her to poop in the yard and not in her crate (she would get so upset when I left for work that she would poop in there), it occurred to me to look up names of actresses from old black and white films. I really wanted to play of her back and white coloring.

Jean Harlow! It's perfect for her, and her long Hollywood eyelashes!

It stuck.

She's already a big girl who can jump out of this pen I bought for her.

Harlow at 4.5 months!



No comments: