Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Field Day

I was running errands today downtown, walking from the bank to the post office when I passed a huge crowd of Galvin Middle Schoolers walking back to the school from their field day which was being held at the common. Huge air-filled game thingies like bounce houses and sumo wrestling rings were there for their end-of-junior-high-life entertainment.

They all walked along with their T-shirts which read "GMS 2010" and I had to smile to myself because in the crowd of all these kids, some who look really young and some who look really old, all simultaneously awkward and cool with their purposely mismatched socks and writing all over their shirts and bare legs ("have a wicked awesome summah!  See you in high school!"),  I could see myself and my boyfriend (my current one - he wasn't my boyfriend then. Boys? Yuck! What do I DO with them?). I have a picture of Eric from our field day, in fact. One of the last days, if not the last day of school, they let us out onto the field at the school where we played various games. I know tug-of-war was one of them because I have pictures. There were certainly no crazy blow-up structures or t-shirts to write all over.

In this picture of him (which I gave to him at our fifteen year high school reunion), he's wearing a Nike shirt and sporting a flat top haircut which I believe he got away with all the way through to high school graduation. If memory serves, in the photo, he is holding a Hoodsie ice cream cup and the wood spoon that comes with them, and giving me a a shy smirk which I see sometimes these days even.

What I like about the photo, aside from it being of him and as such a documentation of our strange history, is that it was taken with a Vivitar 110, a crappy little camera that left the photos with a strange foggy look, just like your memories would.

No comments: