Friday, September 14, 2007

Exterminating More Than Just Fleas


I was off from work today and around noon, Neil the exterminator came
to help us out, as he does every month. I knew he was here when I saw
and heard the flea fighting chemicals being fire hosed all over the
yard and porch. When he came in, Oliver did his usual stranger-danger
panic, except he's been eating his food like a relatively normal dog,
so there was no full food dish to run to and frantically, obsessively
eat out of. So instead, he jammed his head in the water dish, which is
great 'cause everyone could stand to drink more water in this
oppressive Florida heat. He then ran and got his raccoon, looking to
the door with an expression of  a determined protective father...of a
stuffed raccoon with holes in it. Proud Papa..that is, until he
decides to tear it up. Then I'm calling DCF on his hairy ass.

Neil came in. We chatted a bit about ebay (I've sold some stuff on
there recently) and he talked to me about his family briefly while
spraying around the corners and on the carpets. I was working on a
long-ignored scrapbook while he continued through-out the apartment
when I heard something grumbled out like, "...guys knocking down the
door."
"What was that?" I asked.
"Nothing!" he said quickly, "I didn't say anything!"  It was after he
answered me that I registered what he'd said. I swear I heard a "I
just don't get it" mumbled out seconds later.

He was soon done, and I was writing his check  when he said, "You
should be married! I just don't get it!  Men are idiots around here!"
he's saying this sort-of to himself, but actually to me.

"Oh, thanks! That's nice of you to say." I tell him, flattered.

"You're great, and you're beautiful! You know that? You're really
beautiful!" he adds, on a roll, but still sort-of mumbling to himself.
I don't think I'm very good at taking compliments, so...I just smile
and give him his check. I'm not creeped-out by him in the least
because I don't find him to be creepy. But, then, maybe I'm just a
crappy judge of character. It's been known to happen.

We schedule and appointment for next month and he heads out the door
after I pay him, "'Can't wait to see you next month!" he says.

So, thanks, Neil, for giving me the compliment. That was very nice of
you. Especially considering I kind of looked like crap today. That
said, please don't take it further hit on me next month, you're really
good at dealing with our fleas and I don't want to have to find
someone else. The guys at Nolans Exterminating were just rude when I
called them a while back.

No comments: