Monday, May 21, 2007

Adoption

Wandering the Post website, I came across a story about adoption.
It links to pictures of area kids looking for homes. Families. One of
them is 17. One is 16. Others are younger.

I am reminded of how much I take for granted, listening to the audio
of the children trying to explain why they should be adopted.
Imagine having to sell yourself. "I'd like to be adopted because
having a family is nice and it would be great to have someone to look
up to". They describe  themselves. One wants to be a meteorologist,
one wants to be a vet.
I wonder if they will have those opportunities.

You shouldn't be adopted because you're smart, you're good at math,
and you're energetic. You should be adopted because every person
deserves to have a family. Every person deserves to have someone who
is home to them.

That's just the way it is. Or, rather, that's just the way is SHOULD be.

No comments: