Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Thanks For The Modification

So, I've always found myself a bit weepier than usual (if that's
possible) around the holidays. I suppose a lot of it is just feeling
sentimental with the year wrapping up, thinking about being with my
family and the slight, whisper in the way back of my mind that someday
they won't all be with me for the holidays.

I was in Walgreens a few weeks ago and I had to giggle to myself when
I started tearing-up at the sound of "Have Yourself a Merry Little
Christmas" coming through the scratchy speakers above me.
Cyd, Thanksgiving JUST passed!

But, I was flipping through my Entertainment Weekly, and came across
the history of that particular song. It was written for "Meet Me In
St. Louis", but its original lyrics were SO depressing, they changed
them.

Check it out...

ORIGINAL VERSION
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Pop that champagne cork
Next year we may all be living in New York
No good times like the olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who were dear to us
Will be near to us no more
But at least we all will be together
If the Lord allows
From now on, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now

Wow, now there's an upper.

I'm grateful it was modified, even though it STILL makes me weepy -
even when Rolf the Muppet and John Denver sing it!

No comments: